With the Olympics right around the corner it’s time to brush up on your facts in the first installment of One Easton’s Fact or Fiction!
1) Fact or Fiction: The first modern Olympics were held in Athens, Greece, in 1896.
2) Fact or Fiction: The United states of America has the highest Olympic medal count of all.
3) Fact or Fiction: Michael Phelps has won the most individual medals of all time.
4) Fact or Fiction: The Olympic flag contains 6 colors that can be found in every countries flag.
5) Fact or Fiction: A record 202 countries participated in the 2004 Olympics in Athens.
6) Fact or Fiction: The Olympic torch rally originated from the ancient Olympic games in Greece.
7) Fact or Fiction: The Olympic games currently has 26 different sports that athletes compete in.
8) Fact or Fiction: Rio will have the first Olympians to be born in this millennium.
9) Fact or Fiction: There will be 85,000 soldiers and police officers working security for the Olympics in Rio which is the largest number in Brazils history.
10) Fact or Fiction: Rio will be the first time in South America’s history to host the Olympic games.
1) True 2) True 3) False: Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina has won the most medals in individual events, with 14 (6 gold, 5 silver, 3 bronze). 4) True 5) False: 204 countries competed at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. 6) False: It was not an event of the ancient Olympic games. There were torch relays known as a part of other athletic festivals in Greece, for instance the Panathenaic Games at Athens and the games in honor of Poseidon at the Isthmus of Corinth. 7) False: There were 26 sports contested at London 2012 and at Rio 2016 golf and rugby-7s join the program to reach 28. Aquatics, canoe/kayak, cycling, gymnastics, equestrian, volleyball and wrestling have multiple disciplines. 8) True 9) True 10)True
By: Colin Hall